Los Angeles News
Road-rage attack caught on camera: BMW driver hits bicyclist in Beverly Hills
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- A driver in a BMW pinned a bicyclist to a trash bin in a violent case of road rage in Beverly Hills. The attack was caught on surveillance tape.
Police are calling the incident an attempted murder. Authorities say it happened in the 9000 block of Wilshire Boulevard on Wednesday, April 3.
The bicyclist, who did not want to be identified, said he had gotten into an argument with the driver of a 2008 or later model white BMW 328i. The bicyclist punched the driver in the face and then was chased into an alley, where the driver verbally threatened to kill him.
The car pulled into a garage, backed out and then rammed the bicyclist, pinning him into a metal rolling trash bin, police said. The driver throws the car in reverse with the victim still hanging on.
The victim sustained non-life-threatening injuries.
"This was a deliberate and intentional act in which, I believe, he tried killing the bicyclist," said Det. Eric Hyon of the Beverly Hills Police Department.
Rod Messeca, the manager at La Gondola Restaurant, pulled up moments after the suspect peeled out.
"I saw the guy who was actually injured on the ground there, the cops had arrived. I was just so shocked to see what happened," said.
The restaurant's owner and the cooks heard the collision in the alley.
"I heard the bang, right away we ran outside to see what happened and that's when we noticed the big dent there on the garbage bin," said the restaurant's owner, Nir Weinblut.
The suspect was described as a Middle-Eastern American or white man in his mid-30s, with dark hair, dark eyes and a thin build.
The car likely has front end damage from denting the bin.
Anyone with information was asked to call the Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
caught on tape, los angeles news
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains 57 min ago
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- LAPD officers to wear body cameras downtown
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final 22 min ago
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping 15 min ago
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 films to be preserved 23 min ago
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues 38 min ago
- Photos: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matthew M. at 'Wolf' event