Los Angeles News
LA gun buyback event to be held May 4
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles' next gun buyback event will be held May 4 in multiple locations, city officials announced Tuesday.
People can voluntarily surrender their guns - no questions asked - in exchange for a Ralphs grocery card. Assault weapons can fetch a card of up to $200, while handguns, rifles and shotguns will get up to $100.
The buyback event will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at:
- Los Angeles Fire Department's Frank Hotchkin Training Academy at 1700 Stadium Way, Elysian Park
- Park & Ride Parking Lot at 1300 W. Pacific Coast Highway, Wilmington
- Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church at 7900 S. Western Ave.
- Van Nuys Masonic Building Association at 14750 Sherman Way
Officials said police officers will not be taking pictures of participants or logging license plate information.
Nearly 10,000 firearms have been turned in since the program was started in 2009 by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa's Gang Reduction and Youth Development office, which worked in collaboration with the Los Angeles Police Deapartment, community groups and religious organizations.
City News Service contributed to this report.
lapd, los angeles news
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks