Los Angeles News
LA gun buyback event to be held May 4
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles' next gun buyback event will be held May 4 in multiple locations, city officials announced Tuesday.
People can voluntarily surrender their guns - no questions asked - in exchange for a Ralphs grocery card. Assault weapons can fetch a card of up to $200, while handguns, rifles and shotguns will get up to $100.
The buyback event will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at:
- Los Angeles Fire Department's Frank Hotchkin Training Academy at 1700 Stadium Way, Elysian Park
- Park & Ride Parking Lot at 1300 W. Pacific Coast Highway, Wilmington
- Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church at 7900 S. Western Ave.
- Van Nuys Masonic Building Association at 14750 Sherman Way
Officials said police officers will not be taking pictures of participants or logging license plate information.
Nearly 10,000 firearms have been turned in since the program was started in 2009 by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa's Gang Reduction and Youth Development office, which worked in collaboration with the Los Angeles Police Deapartment, community groups and religious organizations.
City News Service contributed to this report.
lapd, los angeles news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested 24 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs 49 min ago
- Bejo's 'Past' character sometimes unlikeable
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)