Los Angeles News
Man stabbed at Cleveland High School campus in Reseda dies
RESEDA, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An 18-year-old man was fatally stabbed on the campus of Cleveland High School in Reseda Wednesday.
Los Angeles School Police were searching for two male suspects seen running away through the campus.
The victim, identified by friends as 18-year-old Kevin Orellano, and the two suspects were playing handball on the school's courts when, according to a witness who didn't want to be identified, an argument suddenly broke out.
"It started off as your typical fight, fist fight - a lot of punches being thrown - and later found the victim laying there with a lot of blood," said the witness.
The incident happened just before 4 p.m. on the campus located at 8140 Vanalden Avenue in Reseda. The school was full of student athletes at practice. The suspects ran from the scene and many of the witnesses ran after them.
"They went through that fence and they jumped it and 15 football players were chasing," said a witness who only wanted to be identified as "Gisele."
Gisele said one suspect ran away and the other jumped into a minivan.
Stabbed multiple times, Orellano was rushed to the hospital but didn't survive. The victim was a current student at West Valley Occupational Center and was a former student at Cleveland High. He reportedly went to Cleveland High to play handball regularly. It was earlier reported he was a current student at the high school.
The investigation was ongoing. Police said they have identified a couple of potential suspects and are working with school police to apprehend them.
Anyone with information was asked to call the Los Angeles Police Department's West Valley Community Police Station at (818) 374-7611.
stabbing, homicide investigation, murder, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- 3 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors