Los Angeles News
Northridge kidnapping suspect makes first court appearance
SAN FERNANDO, Calif. (KABC) -- A day after his arrest, the primary suspect in the kidnapping of a 10-year-old girl from Northridge made his first court appearance on Thursday.
Tobias Dustin Summers kept his head down as he walked into a San Fernando courtroom. He faces 37 felony counts, 34 of which are sex-related counts. The others are for kidnapping a minor under the age of 14 and first-degree burglary.
Summers' arraignment was postponed until May 2. The judge served Summers with a protective order prohibiting him from having any contact whatsoever with the 10-year-old kidnapping victim.
The 30-year-old suspect had been spotted late last month on surveillance cameras as he crossed the border into Mexico at Tecate, east of San Diego. He was arrested on Wednesday and was immediately transported to L.A. County.
Authorities received a credible tip Tuesday night that helped officers pinpoint where Summers was. He had been on the run since the March 27 abduction of the Northridge girl. Police say he used a fake name to check in to a drug and alcohol treatment center south of Tijuana.
The FBI offered a $25,000 reward, and it was highly publicized south of the border. LAPD Chief Charlie Beck said he believes it was the reward that led to the phone tip that eventually led to the arrest.
Suspected accomplice Daniel Martinez, who was arrested April 3, pleaded not guilty to one count each of kidnapping and first-degree burglary.
The victim's family thanked police and the FBI in a statement and said, "Throughout this ordeal, they've been working around the clock hunting this man -- not only for justice for our daughter, but to make sure he's unable to hurt anyone again. The LAPD and the FBI have been spectacular with us and our daughter. We can't begin to describe how their compassion and professionalism got us through that first day."
Summers is being held on $19 million bail.
missing person, lapd, kidnap, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back 32 min ago
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert 13 min ago
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest 36 min ago
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video