Los Angeles News
UCLA water polo player accused of rape not charged at this time
WESTWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- It was not the court appearance 19-year-old Hakop Kaplanyan expected Thursday when he found out the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office had not yet filed file rape charges against him.
"Obviously, I was somewhat relieved," he said.
Kaplanyan was arrested April 2 after a woman reported to police he allegedly raped her in his UCLA dorm room.
"It's been kind of rough, going through it was rough, but my supporters and everyone behind me, I'll get through it," he said.
Kaplanyan was released on $200,000 bail. His attorney told Eyewitness News his client and the girl were dating, and the sex was consensual.
Kaplanyan, who's on the UCLA water polo team, has had the support of his teammates, friends, and family. They even posted a video on YouTube to vouch for his character.
The D.A.'s office won't say why charges have not been filed, saying only that the matter remains under review for filing consideration.
Kaplanyan says his next step is appeal is his suspension from UCLA.
"We just have a meeting tomorrow with the dean, so we'll just take it from there," he said.
UCLA did not comment on how the DA's decision to not file charges at this time will affect Kaplanyan's suspension.
It was earlier reported that the D.A.'s office declined to file charges. Officials say the case remains under review.
ucla bruins, arrest, sex crimes, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- CIA improperly searched network, says senator
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend 18 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M 40 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'