Los Angeles News
UCLA water polo player accused of rape not charged at this time
WESTWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- It was not the court appearance 19-year-old Hakop Kaplanyan expected Thursday when he found out the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office had not yet filed file rape charges against him.
"Obviously, I was somewhat relieved," he said.
Kaplanyan was arrested April 2 after a woman reported to police he allegedly raped her in his UCLA dorm room.
"It's been kind of rough, going through it was rough, but my supporters and everyone behind me, I'll get through it," he said.
Kaplanyan was released on $200,000 bail. His attorney told Eyewitness News his client and the girl were dating, and the sex was consensual.
Kaplanyan, who's on the UCLA water polo team, has had the support of his teammates, friends, and family. They even posted a video on YouTube to vouch for his character.
The D.A.'s office won't say why charges have not been filed, saying only that the matter remains under review for filing consideration.
Kaplanyan says his next step is appeal is his suspension from UCLA.
"We just have a meeting tomorrow with the dean, so we'll just take it from there," he said.
UCLA did not comment on how the DA's decision to not file charges at this time will affect Kaplanyan's suspension.
It was earlier reported that the D.A.'s office declined to file charges. Officials say the case remains under review.
ucla bruins, arrest, sex crimes, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- NASA astronauts begin spacewalking repairs
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt 17 min ago
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
8 min ago