Los Angeles News
Hawthorne stabbing investigation under way
HAWTHORNE, Calif. (KABC) -- An investigation is under way after a 28-year-old man was found stabbed to death in a stairwell at an apartment in Hawthorne Saturday. Police are now searching for the suspect.
The stabbing happened on the 12500 block of South Cranbrook Avenue just before 3 a.m.
Homicide detectives spent Saturday morning canvassing the crime scene for clues and questioning neighbors as they worked this murder case.
"We're searching for somebody we don't know who yet," said Hawthorne police Lt. Scott Swain. "There doesn't seem to be a motive yet. We don't know if it was a robbery. We don't know if the victim knew the assailant."
Police say the 28-year-old victim was stabbed several times. Paramedics found him dead when they arrived.
The victim's next door neighbors refused to talk to Eyewitness News on camera but spoke to investigators. They said they heard a commotion around 3 a.m., but by the time the time they got outside the scene was clear. All that was left was the victim in the stairwell.
"We know very little about him," said Swain. "What we do know is that he recently moved here from out of state."
Mina Plata told Eyewitness News she rented the apartment to the victim and his friend 2 weeks ago.
"They were nice guys. They were quiet," said Plata. "They said they liked the place because there was no one there to bother them and their parents live nearby."
Word of the deadly stabbing has the neighborhood on edge.
"In my heart, it saddens me that its right here but it doesn't surprise me," said neighbor Marylene Larison.
"I feel so bad and I feel so scared to live in this neighborhood now," said neighbor Atanga Benedict. "I have kids, young boys too."
Police continue to look for leads that will lead them to an arrest.
Anyone with any information on the stabbing was urged to call Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
stabbing, homicide investigation, los angeles news, q mccray
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries 37 min ago
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment 11 min ago
- Metro to vote on fate of ExpressLanes pilot
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- Granada Hills fire damages strip mall shops
- Ferry death toll at 175; families outraged 23 min ago
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- OTRC: Peter Jackson: 'The Hobbit 3' title changed
- Dana Point woman fights to keep chickens
29 min ago