Los Angeles News
Los Angeles City Council approves divisive LAX runway plan
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles City Council on Tuesday approved a modernization plan at Los Angeles International Airport that will include the controversial move of a runway.
City Council members approved the $4.8-billion package of renovations by a vote of 10 to 3.
Opponents say they're skeptical of the airport's safety claims that the updated runway would better accommodate larger, modern planes, like the A380 Airbus. The northernmost runway will be moved about 260 feet closer to the Westchester and Playa del Rey neighborhoods.
Congresswoman Maxine Waters cited a NASA study saying moving the runway isn't necessary.
"The north airfield of LAX is extremely safe under the current configuration," she said. "I thought this conclusion would put to rest the talk of moving the north runways closer to homes (and) businesses in Westchester. Unfortunately, I was wrong."
Most of the opposition to moving the runway has come from some of the neighborhood councils located near the airport.
"We want to incorporate safety enhancements that do not require movement of runways," said Marc Saltzberg of the Venice Neighborhood Council. "We want to reduce freeway traffic and discourage traffic flow into local neighborhoods while avoiding any new Lincoln Boulevard connection tunnels."
Business and labor led the support for moving the runway.
"It will make Los Angeles airport safer, contrary to what's been said," said Alan Rothenberg of the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce. "More efficient, more competitive. It will take no homes, it will take no businesses."
The project would also create a transportation station to connect LAX to a light rail service, consolidate its rental car facility and install an elevated people mover.
The plan now goes to the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors and Federal Aviation Administration officials for consideration.
los angeles international airport, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Rain, winds move into Southern California 34 min ago
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Phil Robertson suspended from 'Duck Dynasty'
- How to make delicious tamales for holidays
25 min ago
- Boy w/ heart problem learns via Skype
32 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
37 min ago
- Aulani Resort is perfect holiday getaway
16 min ago