Los Angeles News
Innocent driver killed, 8 cars damaged in South Los Angeles crash; street racing likely cause
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Street racing may be to blame for a fiery crash that killed an innocent driver and damaged at least eight cars in South Los Angeles.
The crash happened in the 200 block of W. Manchester Avenue near Broadway Tuesday night.
That innocent bystander was identified as Jose Cuevas. Investigators say Cuevas' Saturn was struck by a silver Pontiac, resulting in the fiery crash.
The driver of the Pontiac, who police say was involved in a street race, survived the crash and managed to flee the scene.
Investigators say the Pontiac was racing a Dodge Charger, which was traveling against traffic on Broadway.
Almost at the same time as the crash involving the Pontiac and Saturn, the Dodge slammed into another vehicle - a pickup truck. The drivers of the Dodge and pickup truck were transported to an area hospital. Police say they are questioning the driver of the Dodge.
In all, a total of eight cars and one bicyclist were involved in the two collisions. A third victim was also transported to the hospital, but how that person was hurt or the extent of his or her injuries remain unknown.
Meantime, investigators are searching for the driver of the Pontiac as well as two other passengers who were reportedly seen fleeing from the Dodge. If you have any information about this case, you're urged to call the Los Angeles Police Department's South Traffic Division at (323) 421-2577.
south los angeles, car crash, lapd, los angeles news, jovana lara
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained 52 min ago
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal 14 min ago
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested 18 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)