Los Angeles News
Hacienda Heights shooting was murder-suicide
HACIENDA HEIGHTS, Calif. (KABC) -- A shooting that left three people dead in Hacienda Heights Wednesday is believed to be a murder-suicide.
Authorities received two 911 calls about a shooting in the 15900 block of Ladysmith Street at 8:59 a.m. -- one from a neighbor and one from inside the house.
When deputies arrived, two elderly women were found dead inside the home. A third victim, an elderly man, died while being rushed to a local hospital.
Jim Crabtree identified the three as his 80-year-old mother, Carol Crabtree, his 84-year-old father, Dan Crabtree, and his 62-year-old wife, Rita Delehanty. He says he found out about the shooting watching Eyewitness News at 11am.
Crabtree says all three were dealing with health issues: His wife suffered from Alzheimer's, his 80-year-old mother suffered from chronic pain and his 84-year-old father was in the early stages of Alzheimer's.
"This is the classic ending of three people with terminal illnesses," Jim Crabtree said.
Authorities say deputies found Delehanty dead in the living room, Carol Crabtree dead in a powered wheelchair in the back bedroom, and Dan Crabtree barely alive on the backyard porch. A shotgun and handgun were found near him.
Investigators believe it was Dan Crabtree who may have made the 911 call from inside the home.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, los angeles news, sid garcia
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations 33 min ago
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break