Los Angeles News
Hacienda Heights shooting was murder-suicide
HACIENDA HEIGHTS, Calif. (KABC) -- A shooting that left three people dead in Hacienda Heights Wednesday is believed to be a murder-suicide.
Authorities received two 911 calls about a shooting in the 15900 block of Ladysmith Street at 8:59 a.m. -- one from a neighbor and one from inside the house.
When deputies arrived, two elderly women were found dead inside the home. A third victim, an elderly man, died while being rushed to a local hospital.
Jim Crabtree identified the three as his 80-year-old mother, Carol Crabtree, his 84-year-old father, Dan Crabtree, and his 62-year-old wife, Rita Delehanty. He says he found out about the shooting watching Eyewitness News at 11am.
Crabtree says all three were dealing with health issues: His wife suffered from Alzheimer's, his 80-year-old mother suffered from chronic pain and his 84-year-old father was in the early stages of Alzheimer's.
"This is the classic ending of three people with terminal illnesses," Jim Crabtree said.
Authorities say deputies found Delehanty dead in the living room, Carol Crabtree dead in a powered wheelchair in the back bedroom, and Dan Crabtree barely alive on the backyard porch. A shotgun and handgun were found near him.
Investigators believe it was Dan Crabtree who may have made the 911 call from inside the home.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, los angeles news, sid garcia
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- LB mayoral candidate mailer wrongly shows SD
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Benjamin Netanyahu discusses Iran at LA event
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- El Nino watch: Cycle possible next winter
35 min ago