Los Angeles News
Los Angeles Zoo debuts baby giraffe Sofie
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles zoo is introducing its newest spring addition: a female giraffe calf named Sofie.
Sofie, weighing in at 135 pounds and standing six feet tall, was born on April 22. Zoo officials said this is the first baby for the zoo's female Masai giraffe, Hafina, fathered by Artimus.
The family can be seen on exhibit daily during the zoo's regular hours. The Masai species of giraffe is found in East Africa, namely southern Kenya and northern Tanzania.
In light of the recent addition, the zoo also announced a continued partnership with the ScholarShare College Savings Plan.
"As families learn about the Zoo's most recent Spring baby, parents may also learn how to begin planning their children's future from a very young age," zoo officials said in a statement.
animal news, los angeles news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)