Los Angeles News
Los Angeles Zoo debuts baby giraffe Sofie
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles zoo is introducing its newest spring addition: a female giraffe calf named Sofie.
Sofie, weighing in at 135 pounds and standing six feet tall, was born on April 22. Zoo officials said this is the first baby for the zoo's female Masai giraffe, Hafina, fathered by Artimus.
The family can be seen on exhibit daily during the zoo's regular hours. The Masai species of giraffe is found in East Africa, namely southern Kenya and northern Tanzania.
In light of the recent addition, the zoo also announced a continued partnership with the ScholarShare College Savings Plan.
"As families learn about the Zoo's most recent Spring baby, parents may also learn how to begin planning their children's future from a very young age," zoo officials said in a statement.
animal news, los angeles news
- LA earthquake: 4.4-mag. quake shakes SoCal 18 min ago
- Ex-couple found guilty in East LA bank robbery
- IE teen gets 18 months in 'sextortion' plot
- Crimea declares independence; West hits back 50 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash center identified
- Burbank couple rescues child with mattress
- Lancaster man hit in deputy-involved shooting
- Actor Chris Pine pleads guilty to DUI 51 min ago
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- Malaysian plane search expands further
- abcnews: Woman says Scientology tore apart her family
- SEALs take oil tanker from Libyan rebels
- Stooges drummer Scott Asheton dies at 64
- OTRC: 'The Walking Dead' recap: Season 4, ep 14