Los Angeles News
Armed hot prowl suspect shot by LAPD officers in West Hills
WEST HILLS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An armed hot prowl suspect was shot and critically wounded during a confrontation with police officers in West Hills on Sunday, officials said.
A woman who was spending her first night in her new third-floor apartment unit in the 7100 block of Woodlake Avenue said she heard her doorbell and a knock at the door around 5:30 a.m. The tenant, Billie Wittman, said she got out of bed, went to the door and saw a man outside holding a gun. She called 911.
"They walked me through it," Wittman said. "At one point they told me to go to the bathroom, lock the door and stay there until police came."
Arriving Los Angeles Police Department officers said they made verbal contact with the suspect and that he opened fire on them. The officers fired back, striking and critically wounding him.
"When he turned and fired at least one round from a revolver at the officers, at that point an officer-involved shooting ensued," said LAPD Lt. Brian Gilman.
The suspect was in intensive care at Northridge Hospital Medical Center.
The tenant was not hurt.
"I heard sirens, I heard shots, but I didn't know what was going on," Wittman said.
There was a burglary at the same apartment complex on April 12. It was undetermined whether the two incidents are connected.
officer-involved shooting, lapd, shooting, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise 43 min ago
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins 6 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 49 min ago
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls 25 min ago
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights 49 min ago
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested 18 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book