Los Angeles News
Motorcyclist killed in Arcadia hit-and-run accident
ARCADIA, Calif. (KABC) -- A motorcyclist was struck and killed in a hit-and-run accident in Arcadia Tuesday. Now, the search is on for the driver who left the man to die.
Authorities received several 911 calls about a collision in the 200 block of West Foothill Boulevard just before 8 p.m. Officers arrived and found a motorcyclist, Kenneth Doherty of Los Angeles, severely injured. Doherty was rushed to Huntington Memorial Hospital, where he later died.
The driver of the other vehicle, believed to be a 2005 or 2006 electric blue Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, fled the scene. The vehicle was expected to have passenger-side damage and missing a side-view mirror. At the time of the collision, it had a rear spoiler.
Friends of the victim rummaged through the crash site for anything salvageable, collecting pieces of the motorcycle while remembering the 32-year-old father and husband who died in the fatal collision.
Doherty's wife, Jennifer Ruiz, said she wants justice for him and their 4-year-old Autistic son.
"He took my baby's dad, my son is never going to have a dad again," Ruiz said. "He meant everything to us, he was our whole world. He was a great dad. He loved that little boy than anything in the whole world. He would do anything for that kid."
Police say Doherty and the Mitsubishi were heading eastbound on West Foothill Boulevard when somehow, the two collided. The motorcyclist slid a good 50 yards, slamming into a brick wall before coming to a stop under a tree.
Neighbors say the stretch of roadway is known to speeders as a drag strip.
"There is a mile and half of straight street without a light," said neighbor Jon Wagner.
Investigators are unsure who was at fault or if the vehicles were racing, but leaving the scene of an accident is a crime.
Anyone with information is urged to call the Arcadia Police Department at (626) 574-5151.
accident, hit and run, los angeles news
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 53 min ago
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Holiday shipping deadlines quickly approaching
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- Riot police storm opposition offices in Ukraine 48 min ago
- American Airlines, US Airways merger complete
- Torre, La Russa, Cox elected to Hall of Fame
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis