Los Angeles News
Altadena student kidnapped, raped; suspect at large
ALTADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department is stepping up efforts to catch a sexual predator who kidnapped and raped a girl walking home from Eliot Middle School in Altadena.
Authorities released a sketch of the suspect, hoping someone will identify him before he strikes again. If caught, the suspect will be charged with rape and kidnapping.
According to investigators, the victim had just left school on Wednesday, Feb. 27, crossed Lake Avenue and continued on Calaveras Street when the attack occurred near the 2500 block of Fair Oaks Avenue. The suspect approached the victim from behind, grabbed her, forced her into his car, parked behind a nearby Baja Ranch Market and assaulted her. The suspect eventually let the girl go.
Officials say the attack happened near Charles White Park and Mountain View Cemetery. Investigators recently released a composite sketch of the suspect after the victim came forward and told authorities about the attack two weeks ago.
The suspect is described as a Hispanic man in his 40s, with black hair, brown eyes, about 5 feet 8 inches tall with a medium build. His car is described as an older black four-door Mercedes-Benz.
Parents with children attending Eliot Middle School are on edge.
"It's horrible. I have a son. He also walks home but we don't live as far as this girl walked," said parent Ligia Piste.
If you have any information about his case, you're urged to contact Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Special Victims Bureau at (877) 710-LASD or (877) 710-5273.
sex crimes, los angeles news, q mccray
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide 4 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- 'Octomom' pleads not guilty to 4th charge 23 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed 17 min ago
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers 55 min ago
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die 53 min ago
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker