Los Angeles News
Suspect shot dead allegedly while going for deputy's gun in Cudahy
CUDAHY, Calif. (KABC) -- A 34-year-old man was shot dead by sheriff's deputies when he allegedly went for one of their guns during a traffic stop in Cudahy on Saturday night.
East Los Angeles sheriff's deputies were following a minivan around 10 p.m. after receiving a report that an armed man had left a party in a vehicle matching its description. The man allegedly left the party after a confrontation.
The minivan came to a stop at Walnut Street, west of Otis Avenue. Officials said the suspect, identified by family members as Rigoberto Arceo, got out of the vehicle's passenger side, advanced on a deputy and attempted to take the deputy's gun. That's when the deputy opened fire.
"A deputy was telling him 'Stop, let me see your hands,' and things like that and he didn't comply," said sheriff's Sgt. Rich Pena. "At some point, they got into a physical altercation and the suspect started trying to get to the deputy's duty weapon. At that point, the deputy retained his gun, fired one round into the suspect, hitting him in the upper torso."
Arceo was pronounced dead at the hospital. No deputies were injured.
Maria Arceo, the suspect's sister, was behind the wheel of the minivan. She said she pulled over when she saw the deputies' lights flashing behind her. She said her brother posed no danger to them.
"My brother came out as he was asked with his hands up in the air and he walked towards the back of my van," she said. "The cop said that he lunged at him. I never saw him lunge or say a single word. He just walked up with his hands up in the air and he got shot."
A gun was recovered from the minivan. Maria Arceo said the gun was not loaded and that it did not belong to her brother.
Arceo was a father of two boys and was engaged to be married.
deputy-involved shooting, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 43 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43 48 min ago
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role