Los Angeles News
Suspect arrested for East Los Angeles, Santa Monica school threat
MONTEREY PARK, Calif. (KABC) -- A man has been arrested for making threats that affected schools from East Los Angeles to Santa Monica. The threats shut down Santa Monica City College and East L.A. College and put several other schools on lockdown.
A 19-year-old man was taken into custody at Santa Monica College around 9:45 a.m. Investigators say he was unarmed and described him as suicidal. His name has not been released, but police say he is a current student at Santa Monica College.
The incident began just before 8 a.m. when police received a call from a man saying he was not only going to hurt himself, but shoot up several campuses. Officers were dispatched to schools in the East L.A. area, and all Alhambra Unified School District schools were placed on lockdown.
East Los Angeles College was evacuated as a precaution, and classes were canceled for the day. Santa Monica College, John Adams Middle School and Will Rogers Learning Community were also placed on lockdown due to the threat.
Officers were able to trace the 911 call and quickly locate the suspect. When they found him, he was apparently seeking counseling. Police say while he was on the phone with dispatchers, they had urged him to turn himself in.
According to Santa Monica police, it remains unclear if the suspect faces criminal charges or be sent to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation.
school, security, monterey park, east los angeles, los angeles news
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 12 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting 15 min ago
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut 9 min ago
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre