Los Angeles News
Suspect arrested for East Los Angeles, Santa Monica school threat
MONTEREY PARK, Calif. (KABC) -- A man has been arrested for making threats that affected schools from East Los Angeles to Santa Monica. The threats shut down Santa Monica City College and East L.A. College and put several other schools on lockdown.
A 19-year-old man was taken into custody at Santa Monica College around 9:45 a.m. Investigators say he was unarmed and described him as suicidal. His name has not been released, but police say he is a current student at Santa Monica College.
The incident began just before 8 a.m. when police received a call from a man saying he was not only going to hurt himself, but shoot up several campuses. Officers were dispatched to schools in the East L.A. area, and all Alhambra Unified School District schools were placed on lockdown.
East Los Angeles College was evacuated as a precaution, and classes were canceled for the day. Santa Monica College, John Adams Middle School and Will Rogers Learning Community were also placed on lockdown due to the threat.
Officers were able to trace the 911 call and quickly locate the suspect. When they found him, he was apparently seeking counseling. Police say while he was on the phone with dispatchers, they had urged him to turn himself in.
According to Santa Monica police, it remains unclear if the suspect faces criminal charges or be sent to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation.
school, security, monterey park, east los angeles, los angeles news
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC 35 min ago
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84 16 min ago
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present 33 min ago