Los Angeles News
Rancho Palos Verdes pot grow uncovered in burglary investigation
DIAMOND BAR, Calif. (KABC) -- A burglary investigation led deputies to a major pot-growing operation in Rancho Palos Verdes Thursday.
Authorities discovered the grow house on the 2000 block of Noble View Drive around 2:30 p.m.
The operation was uncovered after detectives responded to a call of a residential burglary in the 27800 block of Alaflora Drive.
During the later investigation, authorities saw a person closely matching the description of the burglary suspect sitting inside a parked vehicle on the 2000 block of Noble View Drive.
Investigators made contact with the individual and surrounded a home on Noble View Drive. A male, later identified as Tom Kim, emerged and was met by deputies.
Kim and the person in the car were immediately detained pending a burglary investigation.
During the search of the home, authorities discovered nearly 100 pounds of marijuana, which amounts to $10,000 in street value.
Deputies found hundreds of plants hanging from a clothesline, and evidence of manufacturing hashish, concentrated cannabis, and packaging for sales.
Authorities believe the suspects were supplying marijuana to dispensaries without a legal license.
Kim's common law wife, identified as Molly Hwang, later turned herself in.Kim, 37, and Hwang, 45, were arrested on charges of illegally cultivating marijuana, possession of marijuana and hashish for sales, felony child endangerment, and conducting a business in the city of Rancho Palos Verdes without a license.
The couple's child was taken into protective custody.
The suspects have since been released on $100,000 bail.
marijuana growing, arrest, los angeles news
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 57 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway 53 min ago
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Anaheim fire: House had pack rat conditions 10 min ago
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house 29 min ago
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2
- Alison Arngrim speaks about sex abuse
7 min ago