Los Angeles News
Rancho Palos Verdes pot grow uncovered in burglary investigation
DIAMOND BAR, Calif. (KABC) -- A burglary investigation led deputies to a major pot-growing operation in Rancho Palos Verdes Thursday.
Authorities discovered the grow house on the 2000 block of Noble View Drive around 2:30 p.m.
The operation was uncovered after detectives responded to a call of a residential burglary in the 27800 block of Alaflora Drive.
During the later investigation, authorities saw a person closely matching the description of the burglary suspect sitting inside a parked vehicle on the 2000 block of Noble View Drive.
Investigators made contact with the individual and surrounded a home on Noble View Drive. A male, later identified as Tom Kim, emerged and was met by deputies.
Kim and the person in the car were immediately detained pending a burglary investigation.
During the search of the home, authorities discovered nearly 100 pounds of marijuana, which amounts to $10,000 in street value.
Deputies found hundreds of plants hanging from a clothesline, and evidence of manufacturing hashish, concentrated cannabis, and packaging for sales.
Authorities believe the suspects were supplying marijuana to dispensaries without a legal license.
Kim's common law wife, identified as Molly Hwang, later turned herself in.Kim, 37, and Hwang, 45, were arrested on charges of illegally cultivating marijuana, possession of marijuana and hashish for sales, felony child endangerment, and conducting a business in the city of Rancho Palos Verdes without a license.
The couple's child was taken into protective custody.
The suspects have since been released on $100,000 bail.
marijuana growing, arrest, los angeles news
- Report of gun in LA Times bldg: suspect detained 20 min ago
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested 13 min ago
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Breast cancer treatment uses extreme heat
- Cute bear cub left alone at animal rescue 4 min ago
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)