Los Angeles News
Horizon Community Church in Palmdale trashed by vandals
PALMDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- Vandals broke into a Palmdale church and trashed it, causing an estimated $50,000 worth of damage to the building.
The culprits smashed some windows to get inside Horizon Community Church, and then broke into a safe early Saturday morning. They also destroyed pews and broke several doors.
Church officials remove money from the safe daily, so no cash was stolen. It's not clear if the vandals took any valuables from the property, but they did turn on a fire hose, causing some flooding to 75 percent of the church. It was 2 inches deep. The discovery was made Saturday by a gardener who saw water leaking out of the doors and called sheriff's deputies.
The church's pastor says the congregation is not going to let this incident bring them down. They celebrated their 57th anniversary outdoors.
"My encouragement today is that we're going to keep loving the neighborhood. This church has been here since 1919. This church has been at this location since 1956," said the Rev. K.C. Wahe. "They've done some great things here in Palmdale. This is a great neighborhood, it's a great city. We're going to keep trying to be faithful."
Wahe said this isn't the first time the church was targeted. Burglars tried to break in just one day before Friday night's attack. Wahe said they attempted to get into the room with the safe.
Sunday service was held outside in the courtyard as crews worked on the flood damage inside the building.
Investigators are assuming that a group of people was involved. If you have any clues, you are urged to call the Palmdale Sheriff's Station at (661) 272-2400.
antelope valley, vandalism, los angeles news, q mccray
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 31 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis