Los Angeles News
Bear cub breaks into a kitchen in Duarte
DUARTE, Calif. (KABC) -- A bear cub made its way into a kitchen in Duarte, frightening the homeowner who called 911 in a panic.
The bear scare happened on the 70 block of Crestview Court near Starcrest Drive Wednesday afternoon. The woman, who wanted to be identified only as "Mersina," told the 911 dispatcher that she was cooking in her kitchen when she heard rustling by the window screen. She initially thought it was a family member, but found a bear instead.
Luckily, no one was hurt. Mersina was not home alone at the time - her father was there with her. Authorities say the bear appeared to have crawled through the kitchen window to sneak into the house.
This was her second encounter with this bear. Mersina told Eyewitness News that the 1-year-old cub was in her pool on Monday cooling off. This time, he was after some freshly baked Greek sweet bread Marsina was backing in her kitchen.
The cub did not have to be tranquilized. When law enforcement officials arrived on scene and made some noise in the house, the bear left the house on its own and scurried back into the woods.
The Duarte bear wasn't the only one making the news Wednesday. Another bear was spotted in the Sun Valley area, rummaging through neighborhood trash cans for food. It didn't break into a home, but it did spark concern among residents. That bear was tranquilized by wildlife officials and was set free in the Angeles National Forest.
Back in March, a bear found its way inside a Monrovia home, entering through a doggie door.
animal news, los angeles news, q mccray
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Breast cancer treatment uses extreme heat
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour