Los Angeles News
Woman arrested in Kansas for coordinating Los Angeles gang activity
SALINA, Kan. (KABC) -- A woman has been arrested for allegedly coordinating Los Angeles gang activity from her home in Salina, Kansas.
Cecilia Virgen-DeLeon, 31, is suspected of being a crucial component in organizing the Surenos street gang in L.A. and Mexican Mafia members in L.A. County jail.
Virgen-DeLeon allegedly used computer and cellphone communications to coordinate criminal activity. The sheriff's department was investigating the criminal street gang Armenian Power. The investigation uncovered connections between Armenian Power and the Mexican Mafia.
Virgen-Deleon is believed to be the secretary for a Mexican Mafia member in the L.A. County jail, tasked with "coordinating the movement of drugs and ordering murders and assaults within the Los Angeles County jail," according to the department.
Virgen-DeLeon is originally from California, the sheriff's department said. Virgen-Deleon was charged with two counts of conspiracy to commit assault with a deadly weapon and seven counts of street terrorism, according to the L.A. County District Attorney's Office. She will be returned to California.
The house in Salina, in central Kansas, was searched. Evidence included cellphones, computers, hard drives and documents, indicating her involvement in setting up assaults, drug trafficking and other criminal activity.
A sheriff's spokesperson said gang members have been known to be located far from the correctional facility where gang members are housed, but it is unusual to find them living in another state.
Virgen-DeLeon has lived in Salina for about a year, and is not accused of any crimes there. About 150 Surenos gang members reportedly live in Salina.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
arrest, gang activity, los angeles news
- LA supervisors criticize Baca amid jail probe
- UC Riverside employee diagnosed w/ meningitis
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget deal
- FBI arrest several alleged MS-13 gang members
- $50K reward announced in murder of 7-year-old
- Man burns to death, may have been stealing gas
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case 1 min ago
- Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays
- abcnews: Alleged cow abuse at DiGiorno supplier
- US Navy sailor surprises family on ABC comedy
- Gabor Xmas party to go on amid spending fight
- OTRC: Kate Winslet, Ned RocknRoll welcome baby