Los Angeles News
Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
PALMDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- An 8-year-old boy who was believed to have been tortured by his mother and her boyfriend died Friday.
The Los Angeles County Coroner's Office confirmed the boy's death. An abuse investigation was launched earlier this week in Palmdale after deputies found the boy unconscious. Detectives say he may have been tortured.
The Los Angeles Sheriff's Department says the case is now being investigated as a homicide.
Authorities responded to an apartment on the 200 block of E Ave. Q-10 at 10:53 p.m. Wednesday and found the boy not breathing. The boy appeared to have been restrained at wrists and ankles, according to police.
The boy was airlifted to Children's Hospital Los Angeles in critical condition. He suffered from fractures to the head and had cigarette burns and cuts on his body.
"It appears the child has been struck numerous times about his body. He has a skull fracture. He has numerous broken ribs, and he also has burns to his body," said Sgt. Brian Hudson of the L.A. County victim's crime bureau.
The boy's mother, 29-year-old Pearl Fernandez, was booked for child abuse and child endangerment. Her boyfriend, 32-year-old Isauro Aguirre, was arrested and booked for attempted murder.
"The boyfriend made statements during his interviews, essentially he admitted to causing injuries to the child. The mother was aware that the assault was taking place and was actually present during portions of the assault on the child," Hudson said.
Detectives say the Department of Family and Children Services had been called to the apartment several times in the past. They would not elaborate as to why.
Neighbor Gwendolyn Boyd said she had been hearing banging coming from the apartment for the last two days.
Deputies say there were two younger siblings in the apartment as well, but it was unknown if they suffered any type of abuse.
antelope valley, los angeles news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash 28 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Cat rescued from 91 Fwy divider in Riverside 19 min ago
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Obama to preserve California federal lands 15 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video