Los Angeles News
East Los Angeles fatal party shooting suspect at large
EAST LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- One man was killed and another was wounded when gunfire erupted at an East Los Angeles family gathering, and the gunman is on the run.
The incident occurred in the 600 block of McDonnell Avenue early Saturday morning. Authorities say a family was having a gathering, which extended into the garage. At around 2:50 a.m. while people were inside the garage, investigators say someone walked up with a gun and opened fire.
"The gate was closed. The gate slid open. The victims stood up to see what was going on. At that time, gunfire erupted," said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Lt. Mike Rosson.
Some area residents say they heard between four to six gunshots.
Two male partygoers in their 20s were shot - one was shot in the chest and the other in the leg. They were both rushed to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center. The victim with the chest wound died and the other victim remains hospitalized.
"It appears that there were two separate weapons used. We do not know if there were actually two shooters or what's going on," said Rosson.
At this point investigators do not have a good description of the suspect or suspects they are looking for. The only available description is a man between 5 feet 7 inches and 6 feet tall with long black hair. Investigators hope cameras at a nearby corner store captured the crime and will lead them to an arrest.
Investigators don't think the victims know the gunman. They also don't know how the shooter got away.
Both victims attended Garfield High with Jason Martinez.
"It's hard. I grew up with both of them. Especially for the family too, I grew up with this family too. It's just sad to see what happened to them," Martinez said.
Martinez says the victims did not live at the house; they were simply visiting. He's having a tough time accepting what happened.
"Something always happens. You just hate to see it happen to your friends," he said.
east los angeles, shooting, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news, q mccray
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report