Los Angeles News
Good Samaritans rescue horses threatened by Powerhouse Fire
SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (KABC) -- Michele Oakley Hannah loves horses. When she and her husband, who is a firefighter, went to take pictures of the Powerhouse Fire on Sunday, they jumped into action, cutting fences and setting the horses free when they saw the flames getting closer to a corral of 10 horses trapped in the fire's path.
"I was not even thinking for one instant that I could be consumed in flames, because these poor, helpless animals needed to be set free," said Hannah. "They didn't know it, they don't understand it."
Hannah and her husband still don't know who the horses belonged to, but saw that people with trailers came to pick them up. And across the fire zone, horses were running wild, panicked and confused, surrounded by fire.
"There were other people who actually had to set their own horses out, because they didn't have even enough equipment to take care of their own horses, so a lot of horses were being set free," said Hannah.
Many of them came to an evacuation center at the fairgrounds. Ashley Anton just found out Monday that her house was still standing, but instead of going to check it out, she sat silently with her seven horses.
"They're pretty worked up, especially because they're in a new place and a lot of people are going in and out, trailers are coming in and out. They've been jumping at almost every single noise," said Anton.
As of Monday afternoon, there were 60 animals at the Antelope Valley Fairgrounds, and luckily, none of them were hurt.
The Powerhouse Fire has charred more than 32,000 acres in northern Los Angeles County since it erupted Thursday in the Angeles National Forest. It was 60 percent contained Monday night.
Evacuation Center/SheltersMarie Kerr Park Recreation Center - Red Cross Evacuation Center
2723 A W Rancho Vista Blvd.
Palmdale, CA 93551
Antelope Valley Fairgrounds - Shelter for large animals
2551 West Avenue H
Lancaster, CA 93536
fire, brush fire, angeles national forest, los angeles news, rudabeh shahbazi
- Report: Possible armed suspect in LA Times bldg 1 min ago
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Good Friday: Pope remembers those who suffer
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Breast cancer treatment uses extreme heat 21 min ago
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
46 min ago