Los Angeles News
Good Samaritans rescue horses threatened by Powerhouse Fire
SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (KABC) -- Michele Oakley Hannah loves horses. When she and her husband, who is a firefighter, went to take pictures of the Powerhouse Fire on Sunday, they jumped into action, cutting fences and setting the horses free when they saw the flames getting closer to a corral of 10 horses trapped in the fire's path.
"I was not even thinking for one instant that I could be consumed in flames, because these poor, helpless animals needed to be set free," said Hannah. "They didn't know it, they don't understand it."
Hannah and her husband still don't know who the horses belonged to, but saw that people with trailers came to pick them up. And across the fire zone, horses were running wild, panicked and confused, surrounded by fire.
"There were other people who actually had to set their own horses out, because they didn't have even enough equipment to take care of their own horses, so a lot of horses were being set free," said Hannah.
Many of them came to an evacuation center at the fairgrounds. Ashley Anton just found out Monday that her house was still standing, but instead of going to check it out, she sat silently with her seven horses.
"They're pretty worked up, especially because they're in a new place and a lot of people are going in and out, trailers are coming in and out. They've been jumping at almost every single noise," said Anton.
As of Monday afternoon, there were 60 animals at the Antelope Valley Fairgrounds, and luckily, none of them were hurt.
The Powerhouse Fire has charred more than 32,000 acres in northern Los Angeles County since it erupted Thursday in the Angeles National Forest. It was 60 percent contained Monday night.
Evacuation Center/SheltersMarie Kerr Park Recreation Center - Red Cross Evacuation Center
2723 A W Rancho Vista Blvd.
Palmdale, CA 93551
Antelope Valley Fairgrounds - Shelter for large animals
2551 West Avenue H
Lancaster, CA 93536
fire, brush fire, angeles national forest, los angeles news, rudabeh shahbazi
- Authorities investigate body found in Laguna Hills
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park 21 min ago
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case 29 min ago
- 3 Simi Valley schools face possible shutdown
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Newtown priest speaks out on shooting
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
25 min ago