Los Angeles News
Santa Monica shooting victim distracts gunman, saves woman
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- Debra Lynn Fine was shot as she was trying to distract the Santa Monica gunman, who had his gun pointed at someone else.
"He shot me in the shoulder so the glass exploded, the bullet went in and out then I ducked my head and as I ducked shrapnel went across my chest," Fine said.
Fine came face to face with the Santa Monica gunman. Taking a different route home, the mother of two turned a corner and saw a man dressed in all black motioning a woman out of her vehicle.
"He was pointing the rifle at her and she looked so frightened and I was so angry and I was thinking I'm in my car, she's out in the open, frightened, leave her alone,'" Fine said.
The next few moments, Debra says, happened very quickly.
"I accelerated with my car in front of him to yell at him to stop," Fine said. "When I did, he turned his eyes from her to me."
The gunman fired his assault rifle at Debra hitting her multiple times.
"I ducked down in the passenger seat and I just kept thinking pretend like you're dead, pretend like you're dead," Fine said.
When the gunfire stopped, neighbors rushed to Debra's car to help her. It wasn't until later that Debra realized just how close she came to death.
"This was the same person who then went on, who was fully capable and intended on killing people, Fine said.
Debra says she will not soon forget the cold look in the shooters eyes right before he began firing at her. But, she also says, she will always remember those who came to her aid.
"What I saw in the neighborhood with all the neighbors running out to help me at risk to their own lives is that there are people out there who really care and who will really get involved," said Fine.
Fine was hit in the shoulder, arm and ear. She was released from the hospital on Sunday and is now recovering at home.
school shooting, shooting, school, los angeles news, darsha philips
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 5 min ago
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Russia would welcome Crimea, says top lawmaker
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)