Los Angeles News
Santa Monica alley shooting: 1 killed, 1 wounded; suspect sought
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- One man was killed and another wounded in a shooting Tuesday morning in an alley about a quarter-mile from Santa Monica College.
The shooting was reported around 8:20 a.m. in the 1500 block of Michigan Avenue. When authorities from the Santa Monica Fire Department arrived at the scene, they found two men suffering from multiple gunshot wounds to the torso.
The men were transported to a local trauma center for surgery, where one succumbed to his injuries. The condition of the other victim was not immediately known.
According to a preliminary investigation, the gunman walked up to the victims and opened fire, then ran back to a car, possibly a blue Infiniti, and fled. It's not immediately clear what prompted the shooting, but neighbors believe it could be gang-related.
"I heard a wham, wham, wham, wham shot, and I hit my living room floor because it was so loud I didn't know if it was going to come through my windows or what," said neighbor Cordia Bass. "So I just literally laid on the floor, just trembling."
Police say this morning's shooting is not connected to the community college or Friday's shooting rampage that killed six people, including the gunman.
santa monica, shooting, los angeles news, carlos granda
- Car rally to be held in honor of Paul Walker 8 min ago
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- OC crash kills 4; alcohol, speed suspected
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana 2 min ago
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- Rancho Santa Margarita crash leaves 5 injured
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane 43 min ago
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- Auction features items from Nancy Drew author
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis