Los Angeles News
Porter Ranch standoff ends; suspect accused of killing girlfriend
PORTER RANCH, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An overnight SWAT standoff in Porter Ranch ended after a tense five and a half hours. The suspect, accused of killing his longtime girlfriend, surrendered.
Police responded to reports of gunshots in the 19200 block of Kenya Street at about 12:30 a.m. When officers arrived, they found a woman dead in the middle of the street.
According to witnesses, a man chased the woman out of her home and then shot her in the road. The suspect barricaded himself inside a house. Neighbors heard a heated argument an hour earlier.
The suspect surrendered just after 5 a.m. and was taken away in an ambulance. Police say he shot himself in the chin before giving up.
"Our negotiators, who are the best in the world, did a great job," said LAPD Lt. Ivan Minsal. "If we can get people to surrender, as we did in this case, it's a good day."
Neighbors said the victim was in her 50s and had at least four grandchildren at home with her at the time of the gunfire.
"She's gone. It's heartbreaking to think how life changes for people in 24 hours," said neighbor Louie Bookout.
About 20 residents were evacuated as a precaution during the standoff. The names of the victim and suspect were not immediately released.
The suspect was hospitalized in serious but stable condition Friday afternoon.
homicide investigation, standoff, los angeles news
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Temple City man denies creating Bitcoin
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter