Los Angeles News
Porter Ranch standoff ends; suspect accused of killing girlfriend
PORTER RANCH, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An overnight SWAT standoff in Porter Ranch ended after a tense five and a half hours. The suspect, accused of killing his longtime girlfriend, surrendered.
Police responded to reports of gunshots in the 19200 block of Kenya Street at about 12:30 a.m. When officers arrived, they found a woman dead in the middle of the street.
According to witnesses, a man chased the woman out of her home and then shot her in the road. The suspect barricaded himself inside a house. Neighbors heard a heated argument an hour earlier.
The suspect surrendered just after 5 a.m. and was taken away in an ambulance. Police say he shot himself in the chin before giving up.
"Our negotiators, who are the best in the world, did a great job," said LAPD Lt. Ivan Minsal. "If we can get people to surrender, as we did in this case, it's a good day."
Neighbors said the victim was in her 50s and had at least four grandchildren at home with her at the time of the gunfire.
"She's gone. It's heartbreaking to think how life changes for people in 24 hours," said neighbor Louie Bookout.
About 20 residents were evacuated as a precaution during the standoff. The names of the victim and suspect were not immediately released.
The suspect was hospitalized in serious but stable condition Friday afternoon.
homicide investigation, standoff, los angeles news
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast 6 min ago
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 3 min ago
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks