Los Angeles News
177 Los Angeles Superior Court employees laid off
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Layoffs and staff cutbacks affecting more than 500 Los Angeles Superior Court employees kicked in Friday.
The cutbacks include 177 outright layoffs and hundreds of demotions and transfers. L.A. Superior Court has already closed eight courthouses and cut back services at others. It has also done away with part-time court reporters in civil courts and all full-time referee positions in the juvenile courts. Other departments have been consolidated into fewer locations.
A legislative committee and the governor agreed this week to restore $60 million to state courts. But presiding Superior Court Judge David Wesley said the $20 million going to Los Angeles will not be enough to avoid layoffs.
Wesley made the announcement Thursday, further restricting a court system that began facing cuts with the budget crisis in 2008.
"We have reached the new normal, and there is nothing to like about it," said Wesley.
Wesley said the cuts will save $56 million a year but undermine the goal of a court system serving all areas of the county.
"This is not the neighborhood court we worked so hard to build," Wesley said in a written statement. "It is not our vision for access to justice. But this is the court the state is willing and able to support."
Employees were to receive their layoff notices Friday.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
budget, economy, los angeles news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 11 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence 53 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 35 min ago
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon 21 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...