Los Angeles News
Woman who falsely accused Brian Banks of rape to pay $2.6 million
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A woman who falsely accused a former high school football star of rape now owes the Long Beach School District $2.6 million.
The district has won a judgment against Wanetta Gibson. When she was 15, she claimed Brian Banks raped her at Long Beach Polytechnic High School.
Gibson received a $750,000 settlement from the district, but recanted her story years later. She must now pay back the $750,000, plus punitive damages and other fees.
Banks spent five years in prison before he was exonerated last year. He signed a contract in April to play for the Atlanta Falcons.
los angeles news
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back 26 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 15 min ago
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video