Los Angeles News
South Los Angeles chase ends with crash, standoff
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A short chase in the South Los Angeles area of a reportedly stolen car ended with a crash, but the driver refused to surrender.
The incident began when a woman flagged down police officers. She pointed at a man and told the officers that he was armed with a gun. Officers saw the suspect getting into a car with another man, who was also said to be possibly armed. They tried to pull over the vehicle, but the driver took off and crashed into a van at Holmes Avenue and 63rd Street at about 11:35 a.m. Two people in the van were injured.
"Both of them complained of injuries. The second individual had more moderate injuries, an older gentleman. He was transported to the hospital where he's listed in stable condition," said Lt. Andy Neiman, a spokesperson for the Los Angeles Police Department.
After the crash, the unidentified suspects refused to get out of the vehicle. Armored vehicles were brought in and surrounded the car. At about 1:30 p.m., a flash-bang charge was detonated and one suspect was pulled out of the car and loaded onto a stretcher.
"The second suspect also was still in the vehicle and at this point was indicating that he was not able to get himself out of the vehicle," said Neiman.
A short time later, the second suspect was also pulled from the vehicle. Both suspects were treated for non-life threatening injuries, police said. They were arrested for evading police. It was not immediately known if any weapons were found in the vehicle.
car chase, car crash, standoff, south los angeles, los angeles news, rob hayes
- Car rally to be held in honor of Paul Walker 13 min ago
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- OC crash kills 4; alcohol, speed suspected
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies 20 min ago
- Fire hits Loyola Marymount University dorm
- Salvation Army bell-ringer breaks record in IE
- Mandela's family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder 19 min ago
- Stanford beats ASU 38-14 in Pac-12 title game
- Auction features items from Nancy Drew author
- Photos: Taylor Swift's most beautiful looks
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
1 min ago