Los Angeles News
Surveillance video shows attack of transgender woman in Hollywood
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Police have released dramatic surveillance video showing a vicious attack on a transgender woman on a Hollywood sidewalk. They are hoping the video will help them track down the suspects.
The vicious attack occurred on May 31 around 2:30 a.m. Surveillance footage shows the victim, a transgender woman known as Vivian, walking along Hollywood Boulevard near Ivar Avenue. Four men are seen approaching her.
"She became involved in a verbal confrontation," said Lt. Marc Reina with the Los Angeles Police Department.
Vivian walks away from the men, heading toward Vine Street.
"At that point, one of the males ran up behind Vivian, striking her from behind, knocking her unconscious, it appears on the video, to the ground. And then the rest of the group joined in and brutally assaulted Vivian by kicking and punching her," said Reina.
The victim had to spend a week in the hospital. Authorities are still trying to determine if this was a hate crime.
The suspect who knocked Vivian down was described as a white male between 20 to 25 years old with blond hair. He was wearing a white T-shirt with a "YSL" logo.
The other three suspects are around the same age. They were wearing black shirts and black pants. Authorities are hoping witnesses will help them track down the attackers.
"As you can see in the video, there's people around, there's cars driving by, so we're asking anybody that happened to see this incident to contact us," said Reina.
A $25,000 reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the suspects. Anyone with information was asked to call Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
lapd, los angeles news, amy powell
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car 19 min ago
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead 27 min ago
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis