Los Angeles News
Lynwood woman fatally stabbed by Hollywood transients
HOLLYWOOD (KABC) -- A woman in her 20s was stabbed to death Tuesday by panhandlers in Hollywood in an area that attracts crowds of tourists daily, police said.
Authorities responded to a report of a stabbing in the area of Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Avenue at about 8:30 p.m. Tuesday and found a woman suffering from stab wounds. She was rushed to a local hospital where she died during surgery.
The victim was walking in the area with a male companion when they saw three men holding signs and panhandling, investigators said. The victim and her friend took photos of the men with their cellphones. A dispute over money ensued that ended with the victim being stabbed in the upper torso.
The men demanded money and the woman refused, said LAPD Officer Christopher No.
Police located and arrested the three suspects, whose names have not been released. Investigators described them as as three white men in their late 20s and early 30s. Police were not seeking any further suspects.
The victim was identifed Wednesday by the L.A. County Coroner's Office as 27-year-old Lynwood resident Christine Calderon.
While popular with tourists, Hollywood Boulevard is also known for having a sizable transient population. But police say Tuesday's attack is an aberration.
"It's still safe to continue to tour. This is a rare instance in that area. We know this is a tourist area, and we want our community to continue to tour," said LAPD Officer Cleon Joseph.
Tourists on the boulevard were troubled by the news.
"It's very dreadful that that would happen, but, you know, we live in a world right now where a lot of things are not normal. I don't know what you can say, but just pray and hope things get better," said Chicago resident Kori Ellis.
Anyone with information about the stabbing was urged to call (877) LAPD-24-7.
stabbing, arrest, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 29 min ago
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours 40 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 1 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder 32 min ago
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 33 min ago
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq 52 min ago
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks