Los Angeles News
Fugitive child-abuse couple on Most Wanted List seen in Maywood
MAYWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- A fugitive couple sought by the U.S. Marshals for child cruelty was recently seen in the Maywood area of Los Angeles. They had been recently added to the U.S. Marshals 15 Most Wanted List.
U.S. Marshals were actively searching the region for Janet Killough Barreto and husband Ramon Barreto. The couple is suspected of traveling to Guatemala on multiple occasions to purchase children from an adoption agency, according to the L.A. County Sheriff's Dept.
The couple allegedly physically abused the children, beating them, forcing them to live in deplorable conditions and improperly nourishing them. Some of their adopted children were allegedly duct-taped to their beds and had their heads submerged under water.
A 2-year-old adopted girl died as a result of the abuse in 2008.
Janet Barreto is wanted in Mississippi for failure to appear on charges of manslaughter of a child, three counts of child abuse, six counts of child neglect, and tampering with a witness. She is also wanted in the state for unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.
Janet Barreto was originally arrested in May 2008, released in December 2008 on bond, then re-arrested in March 2009 for allegedly tampering with a witness again, the FBI said. She was released on bond again, then failed to appear in court for her child-endangerment/abuse/manslaughter charges in May 2009.
Ramon Barreto is also wanted in connection with the crimes.
U.S. Marshals believe they have ties in Mexico, California, Florida, Nevada, Tennessee and Texas.
Janet Barreto is described as a white female standing 5 feet 6 inches tall, weighing 300 pounds, with brown hair and black eyes. She is known to be a frequent wearer of wigs. She has used aliases including Janet Killough, Janet Torres, Jeanie Seale, Dealie Harris, Victoria Lopez, Vicky Lopez, Vicky Ulloa, Vicky Christian, Vicky Smith, and Vicky Sara Ulloa.
Ramon Barreto is described as a white man standing 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighing 137 pounds, with brown hair and black hair. He has used aliases including Ramiro Bautista Lopez, Juan Lopez, Christian Lopez, and Ramiro Lopez.
A reward of up to $25,000 is offered for information leading directly to Barreto's arrest. Anyone with information is urged to contact the nearest U.S. Marshals office or the U.S. Marshals Service Communications Center at (800) 336-0102.
Or if you wish to remain Anonymous, call LA Crime Stoppers by dialing (800) 222-TIPS, texting the letters TIPLA plus your tip to CRIMES (274637), or using the website lacrimestoppers.org
child abuse, los angeles news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies 25 min ago
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom 30 min ago
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)