Los Angeles News
Transgender woman attacked: 1 suspect arrested; 3 outstanding
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- One suspect has been arrested for last month's vicious attack on a transgender woman in Hollywood, police said Friday.
Nicol Shakhnazaryan, a 21-year-old Los Angeles resident, was taken into custody on Thursday night and booked for felony battery charges. Three other suspects remain outstanding, police said.
The attack, which was caught on video, occurred on May 31 around 2:30 a.m. The surveillance footage shows the victim, a transgender woman known as Vivian, walking along Hollywood Boulevard near Ivar Avenue when four men approach her.
"She became involved in a verbal confrontation," said LAPD Lt. Marc Reina.
Vivian walks away from the men, heading toward Vine Street.
"At that point, one of the males ran up behind Vivian, striking her from behind, knocking her unconscious, it appears on the video, to the ground. And then the rest of the group joined in and brutally assaulted Vivian by kicking and punching her," said Reina.
The victim had to spend a week in the hospital. Authorities are investigating the incident as a hate crime.
The suspect who knocked Vivian down was described as a white male between 20 to 25 years old with blond hair. He was wearing a white T-shirt with a "YSL" logo. The other three suspects are around the same age. They were wearing black shirts and black pants.
Shakhnazaryan is being held on $1,050,000 bail.
A $25,000 reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the suspects. Anyone with information was asked to call Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
lapd, los angeles news
- 2 dead after car plows into crowd near SXSW 59 min ago
- Malaysia: No debris at spot on China images 39 min ago
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 5 42 min ago
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Mom of wandering boys was supervised by CPS
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- FBI hunting Hawaii for top terror suspect
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons