Los Angeles News
New Burbank Metrolink station to make travel to airport easier
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- Getting to and from the Bob Hope Airport in Burbank is already easy, but it's expected to be even easier. Officials held a groundbreaking Friday for a new Metrolink station.
LAX may be getting a brand new, state-of-the-art international terminal, but one of the biggest complaints about LAX is still being ignored: There's no way to take a train there.
Travelers soon be able to say that about Bob Hope Airport. The new station will be located at Hollywood Way and San Fernando Road.
Currently, about 80 percent of people who fly through the Burbank airport come by car, but officials want to change that equation, said Dan Feger, the airport's executive director.
The station will connect the Antelope Valley Line to the airport. The train won't go directly to the Burbank airport. It will drop off at a platform that will be built on San Fernando Road, about a mile away from the gates. Passengers would then board a free shuttle bus for the rest of the trip.
"We will also have a small parking lot here for people who want to drive here, but then hop on Metrolink and take advantage of the system that we have here," Feger said.
Metro is contributing $3.7 million of Measure R transportation sales tax funds to the project, and the Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport Authority contributed $1.75 million toward the station.
Airport officials say they hope to get the new station up and running by the end of next year.
City News Service contributed to this report.
metrolink, burbank, airport news, los angeles news, rob hayes
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Temple City man denies creating Bitcoin
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter