Los Angeles News
New Burbank Metrolink station to make travel to airport easier
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- Getting to and from the Bob Hope Airport in Burbank is already easy, but it's expected to be even easier. Officials held a groundbreaking Friday for a new Metrolink station.
LAX may be getting a brand new, state-of-the-art international terminal, but one of the biggest complaints about LAX is still being ignored: There's no way to take a train there.
Travelers soon be able to say that about Bob Hope Airport. The new station will be located at Hollywood Way and San Fernando Road.
Currently, about 80 percent of people who fly through the Burbank airport come by car, but officials want to change that equation, said Dan Feger, the airport's executive director.
The station will connect the Antelope Valley Line to the airport. The train won't go directly to the Burbank airport. It will drop off at a platform that will be built on San Fernando Road, about a mile away from the gates. Passengers would then board a free shuttle bus for the rest of the trip.
"We will also have a small parking lot here for people who want to drive here, but then hop on Metrolink and take advantage of the system that we have here," Feger said.
Metro is contributing $3.7 million of Measure R transportation sales tax funds to the project, and the Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport Authority contributed $1.75 million toward the station.
Airport officials say they hope to get the new station up and running by the end of next year.
City News Service contributed to this report.
metrolink, burbank, airport news, los angeles news, rob hayes
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP 36 min ago
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement 30 min ago
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes 26 min ago
- LAPD officers to wear body cameras downtown 54 min ago
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- 3-yr-old recovering after 5-organ transplant
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present