Los Angeles News
Hollywood stabbing: 3 transients plead not guilty
HOLLYWOOD (KABC) -- Three transients accused in the fatal stabbing of a woman on Hollywood Boulevard have pleaded not guilty.
Christine Calderon, 27, was stabbed to death around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday at Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Avenue after taking pictures of the three suspects holding signs and panhandling.
According to investigators, the suspects asked for a dollar, but Calderon refused to give it to them. An argument ensued, and the victim was stabbed in the torso.
Dustin Kinnear, 26, who allegedly stabbed the victim, was charged with murder. His bail was set at $1.3 million. Jason Wolstone, 33, was charged with assault and his bail was set at $500,000. Brian Widdows, 34, was charged with two counts of accessory and his bail was also set at $500,000.
The three suspects are due back in court on July 3 so that a judge can set a preliminary hearing date.
Los Angeles officials have increased security along the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
"These incidents may happen, but this one just horrified us at our core. We will not let this stand. We're going to make sure that there's police resources there, not just in the coming weeks, but for a longer period of time to reassure both locals and visitors," said Eric Garcetti, Los Angeles mayor-elect.
LAPD Chief Charlie Beck announced the department is adding more undercover officers in the area. Beck also said that he has been talking with city leaders on how to deal with aggressive panhandlers along Hollywood Boulevard.
stabbing, arrest, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen 22 min ago
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled 18 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt 14 min ago
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- Woman assaulted near Pizza Hut in Lancaster
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour