Los Angeles News
Hollywood stabbing: 3 transients plead not guilty
HOLLYWOOD (KABC) -- Three transients accused in the fatal stabbing of a woman on Hollywood Boulevard have pleaded not guilty.
Christine Calderon, 27, was stabbed to death around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday at Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Avenue after taking pictures of the three suspects holding signs and panhandling.
According to investigators, the suspects asked for a dollar, but Calderon refused to give it to them. An argument ensued, and the victim was stabbed in the torso.
Dustin Kinnear, 26, who allegedly stabbed the victim, was charged with murder. His bail was set at $1.3 million. Jason Wolstone, 33, was charged with assault and his bail was set at $500,000. Brian Widdows, 34, was charged with two counts of accessory and his bail was also set at $500,000.
The three suspects are due back in court on July 3 so that a judge can set a preliminary hearing date.
Los Angeles officials have increased security along the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
"These incidents may happen, but this one just horrified us at our core. We will not let this stand. We're going to make sure that there's police resources there, not just in the coming weeks, but for a longer period of time to reassure both locals and visitors," said Eric Garcetti, Los Angeles mayor-elect.
LAPD Chief Charlie Beck announced the department is adding more undercover officers in the area. Beck also said that he has been talking with city leaders on how to deal with aggressive panhandlers along Hollywood Boulevard.
stabbing, arrest, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Southern California heat expected to die down
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- 2 Chile earthquakes shake Pacific shoreline
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians