Los Angeles News
Protesters demand reforms to Child Protective Services, county DCFS
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The death of an 8-year-old boy has prompted an investigation into the L.A. County Department of Children and Family Services. Friday, protesters met outside the headquarters, hoping the tragedy will spark changes within the department.
Dozens of people gathered outside the Department of Children and Family Services Friday to demand reforms Friday.
The protest comes a month after 8-year-old Gabriel Fernandez was beaten to death, allegedly by his mother and her boyfriend.
"Here is a boy that in his short eight years of life had no less than six reports to CPS, and the last case was never even investigated," said state Assemblyman Tim Donnelly (R-Twin Peaks).
Donnelly is calling for a full audit into the seizure practices of DCFS, and the state's Child Protective Services. Many at the gathering had their own stories of reported abuse and alleged missed red flags with their own children.
"The reason why his death is not in vain is because it shed light on a failure on the Department of Children and Family Services. They are failing to protect children," said Van Nuys resident Jillian Stefano.
According to a confidential report by DCSF itself, leaked to the Los Angeles Times, 13 children died at the hands of adults who were supposed to take care of them, despite reports of child abuse made to the agency.
The new DFCS director, Philip Browning, took over last year and called for more accountability a and restructuring of the organization.
Four social workers who handled Fernandez's case are now on desk duty as the investigation continues.
"We're not ready to explain the details of our investigation. Our director has stated that errors have been found and there are a number of concerns that have been revealed through our review of this case," said Armand Montiel, Department of Children Family Services."
The department's internal report is expected to be finished in the next two weeks.
child abuse, los angeles news, rudabeh shahbazi
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 18 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 42 min ago
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon 28 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...