Los Angeles News
Dangerous dogs: Recommendations expected on animal control
DOWNEY, Calif. (KABC) -- Los Angeles County is cracking down on dangerous dogs. The Department of Animal Care and Control is expected to report back on recommendations aimed at better protecting the public.
The recommendations are meant to improve the way the animal control agents serve the public and improve the aging animal shelters.
There have been several vicious dog attacks recently, but the incident that brought it all to a head was the fatal mauling in the Antelope Valley last month. A 63-year-old woman was mauled to death by a pack of pit bulls while she was walking in her Littlerock community. The owner of the dogs is now facing a murder charge.
After the death, the L.A. County Board of Supervisors requested recommendations to better the Department of Animal Care and Control. Six recommendations will be made, including the following:
- Increase number of animal control field officers
- Increase protective equipment for officers
- Purchase more animal control trucks
- Expand communications center or create new center
The issue with the recommendation to expand or create a new communications center is that the current center can only house a maximum of 13 agents. The recommendation says they need at least 26 agents to run the center properly during the peak hours of 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The recommendations are expected to cost $2.4 million, $1.6 million of which will be ongoing funding. The rest will be a one-time payment.
animal news, los angeles news, q mccray
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court 32 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Newtown dispatcher told callers to take cover
- Cold front moves across Southern California
- 405 South crash: 11 hurt in 8-vehicle pileup
- Baldwin Village fire likely sparked by candle
- Abducted Palmdale children found safe 12 min ago
- Boy, 7, dies following Mid-City shooting
- NY train engineer in 'daze' just before crash
- abcnews: 2 skydivers killed in AZ midair collision
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen
- USC football coach Sarkisian takes helm
- 'Curb Appeal' co-host killed in SF crash
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film