Los Angeles News
Transgender woman attacked: Suspect pleads not guilty
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A suspect in the attack on a transgender woman in Hollywood faced a judge on Monday.
Nicol Shakhnazaryan, a 21-year-old Los Angeles resident, pleaded not guilty to charges of battery with serious bodily injury and assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury. The attack happened around 2:30 a.m. May 31 on the 6200 block of Hollywood Boulevard.
Surveillance video shows the 22-year-old victim walking near Ivar Avenue and being followed by four male suspects. The victim was knocked to the ground by one of the men and then kicked and beaten by all of them.
The victim was hospitalized for a week with severe injuries. Shakhnazaryan's attorney claims the victim was the aggressor.
"There's more to the story than the way the media and the way the prosecution has relayed that it's a hate crime, where they just assaulted this person. The victim is not your typical victim. The evidence will show the victim is the person who assaulted the defendant and his friends," said attorney George Mgdesyan.
The other suspects have not been arrested. Shakhnazaryan faces up to eight years in prison if convicted.
Police patrols have been increased in the popular Hollywood tourist destination following this attack as well as the fatal stabbing of a woman.
Christine Calderon, 23, was attacked and killed last Tuesday after snapping photos of three men who were holding signs and panhandling along the Walk of Fame. Authorities said Calderon was stabbed after she refused to give the suspects a dollar. The three suspects in that case have been arrested and charged.
lapd, los angeles news, amy powell
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Whittier police standoff forces evacuations 40 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing 24 min ago
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)