Los Angeles News
Hollywood stabbing: Vigil held for victim
HOLLYWOOD (KABC) -- A vigil was held Monday night for a young woman who was stabbed to death on Hollywood Boulevard.
Surrounded by the crowds and noise along the Walk of Fame, relatives and close friends of Christine Calderon gathered for the vigil.
The 23-year-old woman was stabbed to death near Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Avenue last Tuesday.
"She was just such a good person. She didn't deserve this," said friend Sherelle Morille.
Calderon's mother Yolonde Tassin, who is disabled, said her daughter was her caregiver. She took care of her mom and worked two other jobs.
"[She would] drive back and forth, care for me, go to her other job, go shopping, take me to my appointment, my physical therapy. I could go on and on and on," said Tassin.
Some of Calderon's friends believe she was attacked because of her sexual preference.
"Being a lesbian, it is hard in this world. A lot of guys don't like the sexual preference that we choose and how we choose and how we dress. And I just feel like that's none of your business," said Calderon's friend, Kassanova Grant.
Calderon was walking along Hollywood Boulevard with a friend last week when she snapped photos of three panhandlers holding signs. Authorities said when the transients demanded a dollar, Calderon refused. That's when one of them stabbed her.
"Over a dollar? Obviously, the men who did this have mental illness and I think that's something that needs to be addressed," said Calderon's friend, Danielle Buard.
Three suspects have been arrested and charged in connection to the murder. The fatal stabbing has shocked the community and triggered tighter security on a street that's a magnet for tourists.
stabbing, arrest, los angeles news, amy powell
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing 32 min ago
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors