Los Angeles News
LAPD officer shooting suspect found dead in Willowbrook home
WILLOWBROOK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The suspect accused of shooting an LAPD officer and a probation officer was found dead Wednesday morning at the end of a long and tense SWAT standoff in Willowbrook.
The standoff, which lasted nearly 14 hours in the 2200 block of East 117th Street, lasted more than 13 hours before SWAT officers entered the home shortly before 9 a.m. and found the man deceased.
Officials launched hot gas into the home to try and smoke the suspect out, but according to detectives, the suspect was already dead in the attic. The suspect's identity was not immediately released.
"I don't have confirmation that he was shot. I do have confirmation that he did have injuries on him," said LAPD Lt. Andy Neiman. "How he sustained those injuries, whether it was gunshot, whether it was some other type of injury, I don't know, but there was evidence of blood."
It all started at about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, when the two officers were conducting a probation check at the home. Authorities said the LAPD gang enforcement officer and county probation officer were searching the home when they were confronted by the gunman, who fired one shot each at the officers.
That gang officer was transported to an area hospital. Wednesday morning, LAPD Sgt. Albert Gonzalez said the officer was out of surgery and intensive care and was in stable condition. The probation officer was treated for a graze wound to the leg.
SWAT was out in full force moments later. They surrounded the home near Willowbrook Boulevard and evacuated dozens of nearby residents for their safety. Neighbors were forced to stay away from their homes for over 15 hours.
Authorities said they have no reason to believe Tuesday night's shooting is connected to the shooting of two LAPD officers earlier in the day outside the Wilshire Station in Mid-City. The search continues for the suspect(s) in that shooting.
shooting, lapd, los angeles news, q mccray
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Whittier police standoff forces evacuations
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)