Los Angeles News
LAPD officer shooting suspect found dead in Willowbrook home
WILLOWBROOK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The suspect accused of shooting an LAPD officer and a probation officer was found dead Wednesday morning at the end of a long and tense SWAT standoff in Willowbrook.
The standoff, which lasted nearly 14 hours in the 2200 block of East 117th Street, lasted more than 13 hours before SWAT officers entered the home shortly before 9 a.m. and found the man deceased.
Officials launched hot gas into the home to try and smoke the suspect out, but according to detectives, the suspect was already dead in the attic. The suspect's identity was not immediately released.
"I don't have confirmation that he was shot. I do have confirmation that he did have injuries on him," said LAPD Lt. Andy Neiman. "How he sustained those injuries, whether it was gunshot, whether it was some other type of injury, I don't know, but there was evidence of blood."
It all started at about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, when the two officers were conducting a probation check at the home. Authorities said the LAPD gang enforcement officer and county probation officer were searching the home when they were confronted by the gunman, who fired one shot each at the officers.
That gang officer was transported to an area hospital. Wednesday morning, LAPD Sgt. Albert Gonzalez said the officer was out of surgery and intensive care and was in stable condition. The probation officer was treated for a graze wound to the leg.
SWAT was out in full force moments later. They surrounded the home near Willowbrook Boulevard and evacuated dozens of nearby residents for their safety. Neighbors were forced to stay away from their homes for over 15 hours.
Authorities said they have no reason to believe Tuesday night's shooting is connected to the shooting of two LAPD officers earlier in the day outside the Wilshire Station in Mid-City. The search continues for the suspect(s) in that shooting.
shooting, lapd, los angeles news, q mccray
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 8 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know... 39 min ago