Los Angeles News
Compton suspect killed in deputy-involved shooting
COMPTON, Calif. (KABC) -- An investigation is under way after a fatal deputy-involved shooting in Compton Thursday morning. Investigators say the man was armed with a handgun.
Authorities say the incident happened in the 1100 block of Arbutus Street at about 5 a.m. Deputies say they were responding to a report of a burglary in process on Poplar Street. When they arrived, they saw a man hopping over a fence of the home onto Arbutus Street.
During a confrontation with deputies, the suspect pointed the revolver at them, authorities said. The suspect, a man in his early 20s, was declared dead at the scene.
A handgun was recovered at the scene. No deputies were injured.
Neighbors were visibly upset with the deputies for killing the man. Those who knew him said he was very popular in the neighborhood and leaves behind a young son.
deputy-involved shooting, shooting, los angeles news, christina salvo
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Calif. bill would ban orcas in SeaWorld shows
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere