Los Angeles News
'Asian Wig Bandit' sought for 15 robberies; $25K offered
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Authorities announced a $25,000 reward for help catching the "Asian Wig Bandit," who authorities say is responsible for a series of robberies since December 2012.
Police say the suspect walks into a business disguised as a female, wearing a wig and sunglasses. As he approaches the employees, he pulls out a handgun, orders them to the ground and demands money and jewelry.
"This bandit presents a serious threat to the public," said Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti in a statement. "I want this bandit identified, caught and convicted before his crimes escalate."
Police believe the suspect was behind 15 robberies since Dec. 19, 2012. He targets remittance companies that specialize in money transfers to the Philippines, authorities said. In one incident, the suspect Tased an employee.
The robberies have occurred in the cities of Los Angeles, Glendale, West Covina, Rancho Cucamonga, and Chula Vista. The suspect has also been seen in the San Jose area.
The suspect was described as a male Asian, 25 to 30 years old, 5 feet 9 inches tall, weighs about 160 to 180 pounds and wears a blond or black shoulder-length wig. He has been seen driving a light-colored BMW SUV, possibly an X5.
Anyone with information is urged to call (877) LAPD-24-7.
robbery, los angeles news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 56 min ago
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash 41 min ago
- Nurse stabbed at Sylmar hospital; 1 arrested
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role