Los Angeles News
'Asian Wig Bandit' sought for 15 robberies; $25K offered
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Authorities announced a $25,000 reward for help catching the "Asian Wig Bandit," who authorities say is responsible for a series of robberies since December 2012.
Police say the suspect walks into a business disguised as a female, wearing a wig and sunglasses. As he approaches the employees, he pulls out a handgun, orders them to the ground and demands money and jewelry.
"This bandit presents a serious threat to the public," said Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti in a statement. "I want this bandit identified, caught and convicted before his crimes escalate."
Police believe the suspect was behind 15 robberies since Dec. 19, 2012. He targets remittance companies that specialize in money transfers to the Philippines, authorities said. In one incident, the suspect Tased an employee.
The robberies have occurred in the cities of Los Angeles, Glendale, West Covina, Rancho Cucamonga, and Chula Vista. The suspect has also been seen in the San Jose area.
The suspect was described as a male Asian, 25 to 30 years old, 5 feet 9 inches tall, weighs about 160 to 180 pounds and wears a blond or black shoulder-length wig. He has been seen driving a light-colored BMW SUV, possibly an X5.
Anyone with information is urged to call (877) LAPD-24-7.
robbery, los angeles news
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified 3 min ago
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought 36 min ago
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 35 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis