Los Angeles News
'Asian Wig Bandit' sought for 15 robberies; $25K offered
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Authorities announced a $25,000 reward for help catching the "Asian Wig Bandit," who authorities say is responsible for a series of robberies since December 2012.
Police say the suspect walks into a business disguised as a female, wearing a wig and sunglasses. As he approaches the employees, he pulls out a handgun, orders them to the ground and demands money and jewelry.
"This bandit presents a serious threat to the public," said Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti in a statement. "I want this bandit identified, caught and convicted before his crimes escalate."
Police believe the suspect was behind 15 robberies since Dec. 19, 2012. He targets remittance companies that specialize in money transfers to the Philippines, authorities said. In one incident, the suspect Tased an employee.
The robberies have occurred in the cities of Los Angeles, Glendale, West Covina, Rancho Cucamonga, and Chula Vista. The suspect has also been seen in the San Jose area.
The suspect was described as a male Asian, 25 to 30 years old, 5 feet 9 inches tall, weighs about 160 to 180 pounds and wears a blond or black shoulder-length wig. He has been seen driving a light-colored BMW SUV, possibly an X5.
Anyone with information is urged to call (877) LAPD-24-7.
robbery, los angeles news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested 14 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32 3 min ago
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)