Los Angeles News
138 drivers arrested for DUI in LA County on Fourth of July
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- On Fourth of July, Los Angeles County deputies arrested 138 people on suspicion of driving under the influence.
That number is up from last year, when 119 people were arrested.
Law enforcement officers will be out in force throughout the remainder of the Fourth of July weekend, looking for drivers who may be under the influence or violating other traffic laws.
The Los Angeles Police Department will be conducting saturation patrols in the Newton area Saturday from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. in the Southeast area of South Los Angeles.
The California Highway Patrol's "maximum enforcement period" began at 6 p.m. Wednesday and will continue through 11:59 p.m. Sunday. Officers will look for motorists who are driving drunk, but will also focus on reducing problems caused by aggressive driving, an official said.
Also helping to patrol for drunken drivers throughout Los Angeles County is the "Avoid the 100 DUI Task Force," which is made up of representatives from several local police departments.
City News Service contributed to this report.
arrest, dui, los angeles news
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court 29 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Newtown dispatcher told callers to take cover
- Cold front moves across Southern California
- 405 South crash: 11 hurt in 8-vehicle pileup
- Indio High student diagnosed with tuberculosis
- Abducted Palmdale children found safe
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election 31 min ago
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found 18 min ago
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors
- Baby falls out of stroller in wild robbery
- NFL fines Steelers coach Mike Tomlin $100,000
- 'Curb Appeal' co-host killed in SF crash
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film