Los Angeles News
Hawthorne police officer killed in accident on 105 Freeway
HAWTHORNE, Calif. (KABC) -- A 10-year veteran of the Hawthorne Police Department was killed in an accident on the 105 Freeway Monday.
Sgt. Leonard Luna, 41, was riding his personal motorcycle on the 105 Freeway near Long Beach Boulevard when he got in an accident with a Sequoia. Luna was considered on-duty at the time of the accident.
The investigation shut down part of the freeway for hours. The California Highway Patrol is not revealing much about the accident, though a Hawthorne police officer did say the driver of the Sequoia was not hurt and was not arrested.
Luna died at St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood.
Luna was a single man and had no children. He is survived by his mother, father and brother.
Luna is the second death in the Hawthorne police force. Two years ago, another officer also died on duty while riding a motorcycle. He crashed into another officer during an officer's funeral procession.
los angeles news, elex michaelson
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker 5 min ago
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana 7 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 25 min ago
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- VC suspicious death investigation underway
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
55 min ago