Los Angeles News
Store owner shot to death in Panorama City
PANORAMA CITY, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The owner of a wireless phone store in Panorama City was shot to death Monday night. A search is under way for the gunman.
Authorities say the victim, identified as 34-year-old Nestor Porfilio Hernandez, was closing down the shop in the 8900 block of Woodman Avenue around 8:40 p.m. when he was shot multiple times.
Witnesses told police that they saw a heavy-set man confronting Hernandez on the sidewalk, and the confrontation escalated to the shooting. Several people called 911 to report the shooting, and a bystander flagged down a fire truck that was passing by, but it was too late. Hernandez was declared dead at the scene.
Police initially thought this was a robbery gone wrong, but after evaluating the evidence, investigators say this may have been personal. Police say Hernandez had just opened the store in February. His wife had to identify her husband's body at the scene.
LAPD Det. Juan Santa said the suspect description they have is very vague.
"We're hoping that with a little bit of time we can develop some more (leads)," Santa said.
The suspect was last seen running southbound on Woodman Avenue. Anyone with information is urged to call the LAPD Mission Homicide Unit at (818) 838-9948.
homicide investigation, shooting, los angeles news
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 38 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 13 min ago
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
25 min ago