Los Angeles News
Store owner shot to death in Panorama City
PANORAMA CITY, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The owner of a wireless phone store in Panorama City was shot to death Monday night. A search is under way for the gunman.
Authorities say the victim, identified as 34-year-old Nestor Porfilio Hernandez, was closing down the shop in the 8900 block of Woodman Avenue around 8:40 p.m. when he was shot multiple times.
Witnesses told police that they saw a heavy-set man confronting Hernandez on the sidewalk, and the confrontation escalated to the shooting. Several people called 911 to report the shooting, and a bystander flagged down a fire truck that was passing by, but it was too late. Hernandez was declared dead at the scene.
Police initially thought this was a robbery gone wrong, but after evaluating the evidence, investigators say this may have been personal. Police say Hernandez had just opened the store in February. His wife had to identify her husband's body at the scene.
LAPD Det. Juan Santa said the suspect description they have is very vague.
"We're hoping that with a little bit of time we can develop some more (leads)," Santa said.
The suspect was last seen running southbound on Woodman Avenue. Anyone with information is urged to call the LAPD Mission Homicide Unit at (818) 838-9948.
homicide investigation, shooting, los angeles news
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA hospital 8 min ago
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- 3 Simi Valley schools face possible shutdown
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park
- 12 arrested, $2.5M in drugs seized in sting
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense presents case
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Ohio police chief slams Kanye West
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son