Los Angeles News
Glendale approves 'comfort woman' statue despite opposition
GLENDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- The city of Glendale is getting in the middle of a decades-old fight between some Japanese and South Koreans by installing a statue depicting a so-called "comfort woman," a World War II-era Korean sex slave abducted by the Japanese army.
Members of the Glendale City Council received hundreds of emails from activists who argued that the comfort women were really prostitutes, not indentured servants.
Many individuals have denied that Japan's army abducted up to 200,000 women from Korea, China and other countries, even though their assertion has been denounced by Japanese political officials and historians. Koreans want to raise awareness of the human rights violations.
About 100 people came to the council chambers on Tuesday, and 27 speakers, the majority of whom were Japanese Americans, spoke against the monument. They denied that the Japanese military coerced women into servitude, adding that a U.S. city should not become involved in the two countries' affairs.
Despite the opposition, the city council voted 4-1 for the monument. Mayor Dave Weaver was the only dissenting vote.
The $30,000 statue, paid for by the Korea Glendale Sister City Association, was shipped from Korea last month. A city spokesman said they are trying to get it installed by the end of the month.
los angeles news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks 6 min ago
- Woman assaulted near Pizza Hut in Lancaster
- 15-yr-old arrested after assaulting IE senior
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Telescope detects Earth-like planet
18 min ago