Los Angeles News
Hazardous-materials fire closes NB 5 Fwy at 2 Fwy interchange
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A hazardous materials fire started underneath the 5 Freeway and 2 Freeway interchange in Los Angeles Saturday, forcing freeway lane closures.
Tall flames and thick black plumes of smoke were seen in the air.
The Los Angeles Fire Department said the fire was concentrated in a tanker truck that was carrying 8,700 gallons of fuel. The truck was located in a tunnel under the freeway interchange. The driver escaped unharmed.
The fire inside the tunnel was extinguished, but the tunnel's structural integrity may have been compromised. Engineers were examing for structural damage.
CHP has closed the northbound 5 Freeway at Stadium Way, and traffic was diverted onto the 2 Freeway. The southbound lanes of the 5 Freeway were closed at Fletcher Drive but later reopened. Officers said the southbound 2 Freeway is closed at the 5 Freeway. The northbound 2 Freeway connector ramp to the northbound 5 Freeway remained closed Saturday.
Drivers traveling southbound can use the 134 or 101 freeways to get around the traffic mess. Drivers heading northbound can take the 10 or 101 freeways. People headed to Dodger Stadium were asked to take public transportation if possible.
LAFD says all the fuel burned or spilled into storm drains and the adjacent Los Angeles River. Firefighters are working with local, state and federal environment officials to assess the situation. Fire officials say there is no threat or hazard to those heading to Dodger Stadium.
No injuries were reported.
fire, los angeles city fire department, los angeles news
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed 2 min ago
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD 21 min ago
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
17 min ago