Los Angeles News
5 Freeway: All north, south lanes reopen at 2 Freeway
ATWATER VILLAGE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- All northbound and southbound lanes on the 5 Freeway at the 2 Freeway are back open Tuesday morning, the California Highway Patrol says.
The southbound 2 Freeway is also open. The northbound 2 transition road to the northbound 5 Freeway remains closed until further notice.
Lanes on the 5 and 2 freeways were shut down after a tanker fire Saturday. A tanker truck carrying fuel was making its way to the northbound 5 Freeway from the northbound 2 Freeway when it flipped over on its side at the underpass. Caltrans says the fire compromised the structural integrity of the underpass, causing the freeways to be shut down.
According to the Los Angeles Fire Department, 8,500 gallons of gas spilled, with most of it burning up in the fire.The rest of the fuel spilled into a storm drain and then flowed into a side channel along the Los Angeles River.
LAFD says they are waiting to hear from county, state and federal officials on how big or small a mess the accident caused.
fire, freeway, road closure, road construction, los angeles news
- LA supervisors criticize Baca amid jail probe
- UC Riverside employee diagnosed w/ meningitis
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget deal
- $50K reward announced in murder of 7-year-old
- FBI arrest several alleged MS-13 gang members
- Man burns to death, may have been stealing gas
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- SD man charged in 'revenge porn' site case
- Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays
- abcnews: Alleged cow abuse at DiGiorno supplier
- Bariatric surgery improves health over years 29 min ago
- US Navy sailor surprises family on ABC comedy
- Gabor Xmas party to go on amid spending fight
- OTRC: Kate Winslet, Ned RocknRoll welcome baby
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
17 min ago