Los Angeles News
5 Freeway: All north, south lanes reopen at 2 Freeway
ATWATER VILLAGE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- All northbound and southbound lanes on the 5 Freeway at the 2 Freeway are back open Tuesday morning, the California Highway Patrol says.
The southbound 2 Freeway is also open. The northbound 2 transition road to the northbound 5 Freeway remains closed until further notice.
Lanes on the 5 and 2 freeways were shut down after a tanker fire Saturday. A tanker truck carrying fuel was making its way to the northbound 5 Freeway from the northbound 2 Freeway when it flipped over on its side at the underpass. Caltrans says the fire compromised the structural integrity of the underpass, causing the freeways to be shut down.
According to the Los Angeles Fire Department, 8,500 gallons of gas spilled, with most of it burning up in the fire.The rest of the fuel spilled into a storm drain and then flowed into a side channel along the Los Angeles River.
LAFD says they are waiting to hear from county, state and federal officials on how big or small a mess the accident caused.
fire, freeway, road closure, road construction, los angeles news
- Russia calls on Ukraine to be a federal state 20 min ago
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Male remains found in Gorman - investigators
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air
- Chile earthquake: Magnitude-6.7 hits north coast
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians