Los Angeles News
5 Freeway: All north, south lanes reopen at 2 Freeway
ATWATER VILLAGE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- All northbound and southbound lanes on the 5 Freeway at the 2 Freeway are back open Tuesday morning, the California Highway Patrol says.
The southbound 2 Freeway is also open. The northbound 2 transition road to the northbound 5 Freeway remains closed until further notice.
Lanes on the 5 and 2 freeways were shut down after a tanker fire Saturday. A tanker truck carrying fuel was making its way to the northbound 5 Freeway from the northbound 2 Freeway when it flipped over on its side at the underpass. Caltrans says the fire compromised the structural integrity of the underpass, causing the freeways to be shut down.
According to the Los Angeles Fire Department, 8,500 gallons of gas spilled, with most of it burning up in the fire.The rest of the fuel spilled into a storm drain and then flowed into a side channel along the Los Angeles River.
LAFD says they are waiting to hear from county, state and federal officials on how big or small a mess the accident caused.
fire, freeway, road closure, road construction, los angeles news
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood 30 min ago
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)