Los Angeles News
Manhattan Beach body identified as 21-year-old Long Beach man
MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Detectives have identified the body of a man found dead last week in Manhattan Beach as a 21-year-old Long Beach resident.
Mario Herrera's body was found last Thursday at Polliwog Park. Investigators say it was wrapped in plastic on top of a pile of fertilizer.
Martha Vergara, Herrera's mother, saw the story on the news that day and never imagined that that was her son.
"I just felt like they took a piece of me," she said.
Vergara says she knew something was wrong when he didn't come home the night of July 6.
"He would tell me, 'I'll be back.' He would come home Sunday night. He didn't come home from Saturday. Monday passed, Tuesday passed, and Wednesday, and I had to do a police report saying that he was missing," said Vergara.
The last communication Herrera had with any of his loved ones was a text on July 6 to his girlfriend, Karmina Lopez. The message read, "K good nite love you babe im gonna hit u up in the morning."
Lopez said Herrera was a caring and loving father to their 2-year-old son.
"That's just what breaks my heart, because I know I will never find another guy like that, that would care so much for me and my son," said Lopez.
The autopsy on Herrera's body was inconclusive. Results from toxicology tests are pending.
Investigators believe Herrera was killed somewhere other than the park. His family hopes somebody with information will come forward.
"All I want is justice," said the victim's uncle, Victor Vergara. "I just want the person that did this to him, if he's looking at me now, you know, you're going to be caught."
Anyone with information about this crime was asked to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500.
body found, los angeles news, melissa macbride
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Fontana suspect found after escaping from police 2 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...
- Stress management tip - call your doctor
46 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
41 min ago