Los Angeles News
Armed man shot, killed outside LA church
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An investigation is underway after Los Angeles police shot and killed a man outside a packed church Tuesday night.
The incident happened near Pico Boulevard and Bonnie Brae Street in the Pico-Union District around 9 p.m.
Police say a man armed with a gun approached plainclothes officers. An officer-involved shooting occurred, and the suspect was declared dead at the scene. He was identified as 37-year-old Juan Diaz Chavez.
At least one other suspect escaped, forcing police to search and question many of the people inside the church. They brought some of the churchgoers out with their hands up or zip-tied. That suspect remains at large Wednesday.No officers were injured in the incident. The shooting will be investigated by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office as well as the County Office of Independent Review, which is standard in officer-involved shooting cases.
City News Service contributed to this report.
officer-involved shooting, shooting, los angeles news
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 25 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video